Macaroni and cheese or Mac and Cheese are one of the most typical dishes of the cuisine of the United States. If you are born in the USA, this will undoubtedly be one of the first recipes that you will learn to cook as a child or when you will become independent. That is why today we are going to show you how to prepare this American-style macaroni and cheese recipe, so you know how to interpret this pasta recipe in that country
The American-style macaroni and cheese recipe is usually made with curved macaroni or conditions that are popular in those latitudes and the dish is usually known as Mac & Cheese, being usual to cook it with Cheddar cheese. We are going to prepare it with the usual Homemade Mac and Cheese of our country. On the other hand, I already warn you that it is a hypercaloric pump that marks the era, so calculate small portions because this recipe, in addition to caloric, is very satiating.
ingredients-macaroni and cheese
for four persons
- Macaroni or short pasta coditos 200 g
- Grated Parmesan cheese for gratin 75
- Grated Cheddar cheese for the sauce 100 g
- Whole milk 300 ml
- Cornstarch a heaped tablespoon
- Butter 30g
- Old-fashioned mustard A teaspoon of dessert
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make American-style mac and cheese recipes
- As I told you before, the macaroni that is normally used to make this Mac and Cheese recipe is the pasta coditos they call elbows. We put to heat a pot with salt water, to cook the pasta in it, that we will leave a harder point than al dente to finish cooking in the oven, which we will also be preheating to 200ºC
- While the pasta is cooking, we prepare the macaroni sauce, a kind of bechamel made with milk and cornmeal. To do this, in a pan, mix that flour diluted in a little cold milk and then add the rest of the milk, the teaspoon of mustard, a pinch of salt and another of pepper. Mix well and heat over medium heat.
- It is very important not to stir while heating, until the sauce flirts. When the milk has warmed a little, we pour the butter, while stirring well. Until the sauce becomes a thick cream. Then we lower the heat to a minimum and add the cheddar cheese, stirring again until it is incorporated.
- When the pasta is cooked, mix it with the sauce and place it in a baking dish. Cover with grated Parmesan cheese and bake in the medium-high part for 15 minutes. Then gratin another three minutes, until it has browned well on top. We serve warning the diners of the indoor temperature, to avoid burns.
It could not be otherwise, the American-style macaroni and cheese are delicious. This is because of their caloric power, they are conceived as a single dish. You can accompany them with an Italian wine like a Chianti or a Lambrusco. best mac and cheese recipe