How to make a baked or roast chicken.
This is one of the simplest roast chicken recipes, and also one of the tastiest and most economical.
Baked chicken is one of those dishes that we could say is part of the world’s gastronomic culture. Since in almost all societies, there is a recipe for roast chicken.
Whether with some sauces or others, with or without skin, with various herbs, spices, vegetables, citrus, liquors or not … this recipe for baked chicken is within the global cuisine as one of its quintessential dishes
Basically it is about cooking the chicken in its own juices and fat, accompanied or seasoned with herbs and / or vegetables. The ideal way to cook the chicken is in rotary broilers.
You know, those in which the roasted chicken is crossed by an iron that spins it, allowing its juices and fat to spread throughout the piece.
But at home the most common is that we use the oven to roast chicken, leaving the chicken on a tray and subjecting it to the heat source for a certain time.
Despite the simplicity of backed chicken recipe there are multiple variants and this version is basic and very easy, but it guarantees juicy meat, very tasty and with extra crispy skin.
ingredients for backed chicken
- 1 free-range chicken (about 1,600 g. Approximately)
- 1 lemon
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme 3 cloves of garlic Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 medium potatoes (one per person)
- Optional (to accompany) a salad of some good tomatoes with a dressing of extra virgin olive oil, oregano, salt flakes, and a little vinegar.
Roast Chicken recipe Preparation
- The first thing we do is clean the chicken of possible traces of fat and offal that it may have.
- We will take special care to remove the remaining nibs.
- We pass water to clean it well and dry it with paper towels. It is important that it is dry so that in the baking process the chicken does not start cooking, what we want is to make it well baked.
- In a mortar, we crush the black pepper and salt. With this mixture, we spread the chicken well everywhere, both inside and outside.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze some of its juice over and into the chicken. We reserve the rest of the lemon.
- In the glass we mix the oil with the thyme. With the help of a kitchen brush, we paint the chicken with the mixture inside and out. We reserve the extra virgin olive oil leftover.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet and put the halves of lemons inside. We also add the peeled and crushed garlic cloves inside the chicken.
- Peel the potatoes cut them into slices and distribute them across the tray.
- We water both chicken and potatoes with oil with leftover thyme.
Baking and final presentation of roast chicken recipe
- With the oven previously hot at 190 ºC we bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. It is best that you do it in the middle tray with up-down temperature and air.
- Be careful because each oven is a world and yours may need to vary the temperature, my friend Pedro Quintana has sent me a photo with the result of this recipe a little burned.
- It is best to cover the chicken with aluminum foil halfway, that is when the chicken takes approximately 30 minutes. In the last 15 minutes, we remove it to toast the skin and make it super crispy.
- Before serving the chicken we let it rest out of the oven covered again with the aluminum foil with which we have covered it in the oven.
- We carve the chicken with a good knife. Very simple, in six pieces. First, the two hindquarters (thigh and contramuslo) until reaching the union of this piece with the housing. Then the two wings. And finally, the breasts.
- For this operation, the sternum is sought and the knife slides, shearing all the meat and detaching it from the rib. First one and then the other. And with what is left, there will always be enough meat in the shell for good chicken croquettes.
- We serve it with roasted potatoes and some salad.
- I love it with raw tomato, extra virgin olive oil and a touch of salt and oregano.